Make your First OB Appointment– Most OB’s will wait to see you until 8 weeks after your last menstrual cycle. If you go too soon, baby may be too small to see on an ultrasound. While you are at your doctor, be sure to ask a few important questions:
- If you are on any medication, please be sure to run them by your doctor to ensure they are safe for baby.
- Get an idea of what the rest of your prenatal care will be like. When will you have ultra sounds and testing?
- Is there a nurses line and after hours number you can contact if you are worried about anything you are experiencing physically?
- What kind of changes do you suggest I make nutritionally?
- If you are on an exercise regimen and plan to continue while pregnant, you may want to just talk through it with your doctor. Just to be sure they can tell you how to modify certain things, if need be.
- Side note- I delivered with different doctors for both of my babies and each of them gave me the option of scheduling ALL of my OB appointments as soon as my pregnancy was confirmed. This was a huge help when it came to planning. Ask your doc if this is an option.
Start taking care of Mama! Your body has started the process of growing a HUMAN. You will want to ensure your body is getting everything it needs during this time. Start by taking a prenatal Vitamin that has DHA included. You will also want to make sure you are staying hydrated and making the best food choices you can. More than anything, make sure you rest and relax. Listen to your body. If it is telling you it’s time to take a break and rest, do so!
Plan your Pregnancy Announcement. If you choose to do a fun announcement, it’s a good idea to start browsing through ideas. Pinterest is always a great source for fun ideas! You can also look on Instagram under the hashtag #PregnancyAnnouncement. You may also want to come up with fun ways to tell family members or close friends. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you keep it fun and do not let it cause you any added stress!
Contact your Insurance. After your first OB appointment, it is a good idea to call your insurance to run through all the different visits and testing you will have in the near future. You can get a fill list of questions to as you insurance provider here (including labor and delivery questions) in this blog post.
Speak with HR. Once you are comfortable letting your employer know you are pregnant, you will want to speak with HR about their maternity policy (full list of questions to ask available here.). While you actual maternity leave may be months off, you may want as much time as possible to save up for your leave. We have a full maternity leave financial plan to help you save up here.
Fight morning sickness. My personal go-to items were Preggy Pop Drops and Pink Stork Morning Sickness tea. I loved the drops because I could pop one into my mouth while heading into a meeting at work and no one knew what was going on and I could make the tea in a regular coffee mug and it just smelled like a delicious peach tea! For a more extensive list on how to fight morning sickness, check out this post.
A fun little added bonus…while you may not need a full maternity wardrobe just yet, it is still fun to go out and shop for some of those fun pregnancy items! I bought a few cute maternity t-shirt soon after I found out I was pregnant and I also bought one of those awesome pregnancy pillows! A few other fun things that will be useful over the coming months:
- A Belly Band- during the first trimester, your belly won’t “pop”, but you may feel much more bloated. My pants stopped fitting comfortably around 9 weeks and I started using the Belly Band. You can find a few different options of belly bands at Target in the maternity section.
- Stretch mark Cream- you can find alot of options when it comes to stretch mark creams. The two I have personally tried and would highly recommend are the Burt’s Bees Belly Butter and the Spoiled Mama Tummy Butter. With my second pregnancy, I made homemade stretch mark cream and was really pleased with the results. You can see the recipe here.
- Download your pregnancy tracking app- There are so many out there! These wonderful apps give you so much insight as to what is going on with baby and mama!