How to remove diaper blowout stains
It’s inevitable… with baby comes diaper blowouts. I’d be shocked to find a mother who hasn’t experienced one.
In my early months of motherhood, I had no idea how to tackle these kind of stains. I hate to admit it, but I just threw the clothes out if the mess was too much for a regular run through the washer. I threw away so many good clothes!
Fast forward a year and a half later… we now have two daughters who have made me a master at cleaning poo out of just about any material!
Step-by-step Instructions to removing poo stains
- Start by removing any excess poop with a plastic spoon or knife. If the stain is a little more liquid, then I use a baby wipe to remove as much as I can, just be sure not to scrub too hard!
- Thoroughly spray a stain removing substance. I use Spray n’ Wash.
- Soak the clothing material in WARM water for at least 15 minutes. I like to use the soak setting on my washer so it will spin dry the shirt for me.
- If the stain has come clean, you can run it through the washer with a normal load.
- If the stain has NOT come clean, do NOT dry the shirt in the dryer. The heat will make the stain set.
- For these more persistent stains, you can try a longer soak in OxyClean Baby or a bleach and water combo for 30 minutes.
Lemon Juice and sun Removal Method
If you are looking for a more natural way to remove stains, this method is for you!
- Remove excess poo with a plastic knife or spoon. Again, use a baby wipe if needed.
- Thoroughly soak the stain with lemon juice. Do not dilute.
- Place outside in direct sunlight for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Run the clothing through the wash as normal if the stain is completely removed.
- If the stain is still there, you can repeat the process, but do not run the item through the wash before the second run!
Best of luck, mama!
Swaddles n' Bottles is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This program does not effect the price a customer pays for products. To read more on affiliate links, please view our privacy and disclosure page.